Dr. Felisa Smith
Interim Coordinator, RN-BSN Program
Admission to the Online (RN to BSN) Track Completion program in Nursing is competitive and open to all qualified applicants.
Admission is not guaranteed.
The general admission criteria are:
- Admission to the University prior to the start of any semester.
- Submission of a separate and complete application package for admission to the Department of Nursing and Allied Health after admission to the University and prior to the start of the semester in which one desires to attend.
- Receipt of official transcript(s) from previously attended college(s). Eligibility will be determined by the GPA from the most recent transcript.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia or Compact License.
- Completion of one algebra course, one general mathematics course, one biology course with a lab, and one chemistry course with a lab (will accept high school applicable courses). A minimum grade of “C” is required in each course or credit by examination (CLEP or ACT).
- Students with a GED must also show proof of all required courses listed in #5 above and a grade of “C” or above. If the student has not taken any of the required courses, the student must take college level courses for which a grade of “C” or above can be awarded.
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.5, and a course grade of “C” or above in all prerequisite courses.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed before the start of the Online (RN-BSN) Track Completion Program.
Summary of Graduation Requirements
|Total Major Credits||30|
|Total Prerequisite Credits Credits||55|
|Awarded for Lower Level Nursing Degree||36|
|Total Credit Hours||121|
|Tier 1 General Education Requirements|
|SEM 101||Spartan Seminar 101||1|
|ENG 101/101H||College English I||3|
|ENG 102/102H||College English II||3|
|ENG 285/285H||Public Speaking||3|
|Tier 2 General Education Requirements|
|Select one of the following Humanities:||3|
|Introduction to World Literature|
|Basic Art Appreciation|
and Chemistry I Laboratory
|SEM 102||Spartan Seminar 102||1|
|Select one of the following Social Sciences:||3|
|Intro to Business & Entrepreneurship|
|Basic Principles of Economics|
|History of World Societies II|
|United States History Since 1865|
|Introduction to the Social Sciences|
|CSC 150||Computer Literacy||3|
|Tier 3 General Education Requirements|
|HUM XXX||Elective (Humanities Transfer Credits)||3|
|SEM 201||Spartan Seminar 201||1|
|Social Science Elective||Social Science Transfer Credits||3|
|Nursing Program Requirements|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I|
and Human Anatomy & Physiology I Lab
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II|
and Human Anatomy & Physiology II Lab
|Microbiology for the Health Sciences|
and Micro for Health Sciences Laboratory
|PSY 228||Developmental Psychology||3|
|MTH 250||Elementary Statistics Concepts||3|
|HRP 320||African American Health (University cultural perspective required)||3|
|Total Prerequisite Credits Required||55|
|Credits Awarded for Lower Level Nursing Degree||36|
|Total Credit Hours||91|
|NUR 301||Foundations of Online Success: Bsn Orientation||3|
|NUR 418/418H||Conceptual Models for Nursing||3|
|NUR 461/461H||Nursing Research Dimensions||3|
|NUR 321/321H||Multicultural Studies/Bioethics||3|
|NUR 415||Health Assessment||4|
|NUR 435||Complex Nursing Systems for Populations||3|
|NUR 435L||Complex Nursing Systems for Pop-Lab||2|
|NUR 462/462H||Nursing Leadership & Management||3|
|NUR 470||Professional Development Seminar||3|
|NUR 485/485H||Contemporary Topics Nursing/Health Care||3|
Note on Online (RN to BSN) Completion Track: The department also offers a part-time 5-term Online RN to BSN track.