Dr. Tommy L. Bogger, Dean (I)
Professor Chinedu Okala, Associate Dean
The College of Liberal Arts is comprised of a broad range of academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences with undergraduate and graduate degrees housed in seven departments:
- English and Foreign Languages,
- Mass Communications and Journalism,
- History and Interdisciplinary Studies,
- Political Science,
- Sociology, and
- Visual and Performing Arts (Fine Arts, and Music).
In addition, General Studies, and WNSB 91.1 FM are housed in the College of Liberal Arts.
The mission of the college is to provide a transformative education that enables students to maximize their potential to become creative, independent thinkers and lifelong learners who adapt and contribute ethically to evolving national and international societies.
The College of Liberal Arts impacts every student who matriculates through Norfolk State University. In addition to nine undergraduate academic degree programs and four graduate academic degree programs, the college serves as a service area for students taking introductory courses in the general education core. Exposure to courses in the areas of English, Music, Fine Arts, History, Sociology, and Psychology affords students many opportunities to appreciate and understand their role in a global society.
Within the context of the University’s strategic plan, the overall goals of the College of Liberal Arts are to:
- Provide students with a liberating education that is conducive to life-long learning.
- Impart knowledge, strengthen communicative and quantitative abilities, and enhance research and inquiry skills in the various subject matter areas.
- Develop habits of independent thought and critical thinking.
- Promote attitudes of understanding, respect, and tolerance for one’s own culture and the cultures of other peoples.
- Engender in students an appreciation of the moral and ethical components of life.
- Define educational standards that address the changing paradigms and diverse needs of students in a changing global society.
- Provide highly qualified graduates for the global workforce.
Contribute to the social consciousness, civic engagement, and cultural enrichment of the community through the provision of programs, exhibits and workshops in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.